Situated on Level 7 & 9 our purpose is to provide technology and equipment to allow users to create prototypes for Ravensbourne Students, Incubation Companies and Research Activities.
9:30 am - 9:30 pm Monday through Friday and 10 am to 4:30 pm on Saturday. We are not open on Sunday.
Outside of these hours the doors are not activated preventing entry by anyone but certain staff, this allows time for maintenance and daily checks.
To use the facilities you first take the Health and Safety induction tour. This is led by one of the prototyping staff and takes you through all the main pieces of equipment and aspects of the safe use of the facilities in general. Following that you must compete the online test, we will give you a link to our VLE page during the induction.
No Induction – No facilities
our equipment falls into 4 categories depending on its type and availability. A complete equipment list complete with Risk Assessments and other related information is to be found here.
|Open access equipment||Bookable equipment||Bureau type equipment||Loan Equipment - available from CLR|
All materials are supplied by the user, except for machines with specific requirements e.g. high end 3D Printers where users would not normally be able to purchase materials. We will provide a quote for works requested on these machines – payment is via pay-pal.
To get a quote – click here for info
Users are required to provide their own basic hand tools (screwdrivers craft knives)
Recommended tool list for general use.
Staffed by Technical Tutors who are there to advise and assist on making prototypes, use of machinery and software. If you need anything, please just ask us.
The Technical Tutors provide oversight of the 903/904 and 703/704 prototyping areas, its equipment and its users.
- Demonstration of techniques and methods of machines in the area.
- Demonstrations of software and tools relevant to prototyping and courses.
- To help students to understand how processes relate to the design and construction of prototypes and industry practices.
- Trouble shooting for student questions via electronic means or in-person sessions.
- Oversight of the safe operation of the area.
- Inductions for Health and Safety to ensure safe working practices and compliance with Health and Safety policies.
- Repair equipment where possible, reporting larger faults occurring during each working day.
Evening Technical Support
One person based on level 9 provides evening technical support until 9:30 pm Monday to Friday.
The facilities are open until 9:30 pm – last admissions at 9:00 pm.